Tag Archives: UV light

Mothing in Indiana, USA – Guest post by Debbie Goedde

Debbie Goedde is an Adv. Master Naturalist in Evansville, Indiana. She participated in National Moth Week in the past three years. In 2016 she ran a few mothing events:  on July 23 a private event at a for large garden organization … Continue reading

Posted in Events | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment

John Beetham’s setup

John Beetham is a moth’er in Central NJ and a NMW supporter through his ‘A DC Birding Blog‘. John sent us a picture of his mothing setup and a description: I use a 13-watt CFL blacklight (which I think is … Continue reading

Posted in Light Set-Up, Mothing, NMW Collaborators | Tagged , , , | 3 Comments

Moth Night with Seabrooke Leckie and Friends

On Thursday night, the Friends of the East Brunswick Environmental Commission (www.friendsebec.com) welcomed Seabrooke Leckie to the East Brunswick Cultural Arts Center as part of her east coast book tour. Seabrooke is the co-author of the amazing new Peterson Field … Continue reading

Posted in News & Updates, NMW Collaborators | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Ken Child’s setup

Ken Childs, who posts and comments about moths and mothing on the Facebook group, sent us this description of his setup: The frame is made out of 3/4″ PVC pipe. I coated some scrap pieces of pvc with grease, put … Continue reading

Posted in Light Set-Up, Mothing | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Light mothing (as in MV, UV & incandescent)

Bruce Walsh, at the Department of Ecology and Evolution Biology and the Center for Insect Science of the University of Arizona, compiled a list of websites and protocols of mothing techniques. Lights, tips and how to spread and preserve specimens. … Continue reading

Posted in Light Set-Up, Mothing | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment

How To Attract An Entomologist

Step 1. Locate a suitable patch of forest, field, or desert. Step 2. Wait for a warm, moonless summer night. Step 3. Using a long extension cord, plug in a blacklight. Or even better, a mercury-vapor lamp. Step 4. Sit … Continue reading

Posted in Mothing, News & Updates, Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Mothing in Alaska

“Mothing in Alaska” was sent to NMW by Ken Philip I know of only two people in Alaska who collect moths: Jim Kruse, and me. UV light traps work much better in August than July (and you can forget about … Continue reading

Posted in Mothing | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Mothing light non-setup

My mothing non-setup: Two 50W halogen outdoor floods on our covered porch (12′ X 48′). About 90% of my moth photos are taken in the area under the floods. The other 10% are taken in various nooks and crannies in … Continue reading

Posted in Light Set-Up, Mothing | Tagged , | Leave a comment